WE ARE CURRENTLY LOCATED AT
Riverwalk, 354 Merrimack Street, Entry C - 3rd fl, Lawrence, MA 01843
Phone (978) 620-3570 - FAX (978) 683-5894
Hours 7:30 - 3:00 pm (see below)
Summer Hours 7:00-3:00 Mon-Thurs, Fridays 7:00 - 12:00 Effective June 1 ending after Labor Day Weekend
(If a later appt. is needed, please call to make arrangements)
The City of Lawrence Retirement Board Members and Office Staff are ready to assist you with any questions you may have regarding your retirement system. As always we would like to encourage our members and retirees to contact the office with any questions or concerns that may arise. This web site was created so that our members and retirees would have yet another tool to find information regarding their municipal pension. We hope you find our site informative and easy to navigate. We are happy to have you as a visitor and encourage you to come back often!
This information is not intended as a substitute for the Massachusetts General Laws nor will its interpretation prevail should a conflict arise between its contents and MGL Chapter 32. Rules governing retirement benefits are subject to change periodically either by statute of the Massachusetts Legislature or by regulation of the Lawrence Retirement Board.
Benefits Office 978 620-3065
GIC 617 727-2310
We are pleased to announce that we have implemented an Employee Self Service Portal (ESS) which will give our active and retired members access to data concerning their own individual retirement accounts. You must register and choose a username and password. Once registration is complete, you will be able to access some of your retirement information. Please follow the instructions on the following link for Self-Registration: www.Pensiontechnologygroup.com/Lawrence
Retiree 1099-R's - Please note if you became age 59 1/2 during 2018
Due to the IRS Private Letter Ruling and Determination Letter, superannuation (non disability) retirees who turned 59 1/2 during a calendar year will recieve 2 forms 1099-R for that calendar year. One will be created with a distribution code 2 (under age 59 1/2) one with a distribution code 7 (over age 59 1/2). All subsequent years your 1099R will be coded 7.
ALSO Please note, IRS ruling on Accidental Disibility Survivors Section 101 - Effective 2015, you will not recieve a form 1099-R unless you had income tax withholdings. Your pension is now defined as NON TAXABLE.
***Public Records Request***
CITY HEALTH INSURANCE - (Excludes LHA & GLRVHS)
GIC Benefits Decesion Guide - click for link
City Benefits Department - 978 620-3065
GIC - 617 727-2310
The Group Insurance Commission Annual Enrollment starts Wednesday, April 3, 2019 and runs through Wednesday, May 1, 2019
- Completed Annual Enrollment forms are due to the GIC Benefits Coordinator (Jennifer DesRoche), by Wednesday, May 1, 2019: Changes go into effect July 1, 2019.
- Employees can enroll in coverage for the first time at Annual Enrollment or within 60 days of a documented qualifying event. Qualifying events include marriage, birth/adoption of a child, involuntary loss of other coverage, spouse’s Annual Enrollment or return from an approved FMLA or maternity leave. New hires may enroll in coverage during their first ten days of employment and also during Annual Enrollment.
- Once you choose health care coverage, you cannot change products until the next Annual Enrollment period which will be in April - May 2020. Even if your doctor or hospital leaves the health insurance product, unless you have an eligible qualifying status change, you must remain enrolled in your selected plan until the next Annual Enrollment. You can find a list of qualifying status changes on the GIC’s Annual Enrollment website.
- Doctors and hospitals within a carrier’s network can change during the year, usually because of a health carrier and provider contract issue, practice mergers, retirement or relocation. If your doctor is no longer available, your health insurance carrier will help you find a new one.
- When checking provider coverage and tiers, be sure to specify the health insurance product’s full name, such as “Tufts Health Plan Spirit” or “Tufts Health Plan Navigator,” and not just “Tufts Health Plan.” The health insurance carrier is your best source for this information.
GIC OPEN ENROLLMENT POSTER FOR 2019 - CLICK HERE
2019 GIC INFORMATION - Please note, all forms must be returned to Jennifer DeRoche, Benefits Coordinator by Wednesday, May 1, 2019
Please remember that the Altus Dental insurance is not through the GIC. Altus Dental benefits are independent of GIC through the City of Lawrence.
The GIC Health Insurance rates have changed, most have increased.
RATE CHAGES FOR ALL UNITS OTHER THAN GLRHS WILL TAKE EFFECT IN YOUR JUNE 30TH, 2019 PENSION CHECK
RATE CHANGE FOR GLRHS WILL TAKE EFFECT IN YOUR DECEMBER 2018 PENSION CHECK
The group insurance website is the best resourse for updates on your health insurance. Health insurance is a City of Lawrence Benefit. Although we try to update our website frequently, as a courtesy to our retirees, we may not have the most up to date insurance information. As always, please feel free to contact our office directly with any questions you may have.
IMPORTANT HEALTH INSURANCE INFORMATION** If you are eligible to enroll in Medicare Part B, you must do so immediately. Any questions can be directed to the benefits department at 978 620-3065. If you do not enroll, the Group Insurance Commission may deny membership in their plan.
** There are significant changes in the retirement laws for those who become members of a Retirement System on or after April 2, 2012.
** Please note: If you refund (withdraw) your account and return to service after April 2, 2012, you will fall under the new guidelines.
Below is a list of some of the changes. Click here for a link to an indepth list of more changes
- Increased minimum retirement age; (Group 1 cannot retire prior to attaining age 60)
- New age factors for calculating retirement allowances;
- The unavailablility of the G.L. c. 32, 10 Termination allowance;
- The applicability of G.L. c. 32 105 to elected officials;
- Five Year Average Annual Rate of Regular Compensation for calculating allowances rather than a three year average;
- Proration of benefits earned for service in different Group classifications;
- New contribution rates;
Site updated 03/13/19